The idea of Doon University draws its elements from huge deficit that the state of Uttarakhand has been experiencing in the area of excellence in higher education. The Doon University Bill, 2005 (Uttaranchal Adhiniyam Sankhaya 18 of 2005) was passed by the Uttarakhand Legislative Assembly and assented to by the Governor on April 23, 2005. It was published in the Uttarakhand Gazette on April 26, 2005. On 9th May 2009 its statutes were approved and the University going to start its first academic session on 6th August 2009. The spirit of the Act is to create an autonomous and accountable institution of higher learning. Accordingly the University intends to impart socially and economically relevant education. It also aims to provide lead in frontier areas of research and methods of pedagogy. Indeed the mandate is huge and challenging.
Vision and Mission of the University
In accordance with the provision in Section 5(1) of the Act, Doon University shall become a Centre of Excellence in the chosen areas of studies, and shall carry out research for the advancement and dissemination of knowledge. Such an effort shall be benchmarked with the best in the country and globally.
The university will be known for:
- Student and learning-to-learn centered pedagogy supported by a community of eminent research-scholars,
- Leadership through collaborative educational ventures and,
- Value- based learning.
- Offer state-of-the-art educational programmes in cutting-edge disciplines of regional, national and international relevance,
- Conduct high quality and multi-disciplinary research to push the boundaries of knowledge in the chosen areas and,
- Provide a challenging and conducive environment for scholar-researchers to engage in pursuit of excellence.
Visited 1554 times, 1 Visits today